NHS Freedom Of Information Act 2000
Part 1 - Introduction
This Publication Scheme is a complete guide to information routinely made available to the public by the dental practitioners. It describes information about our dental practitioners and practice which we make publicly available.
How is the information made available and how much does it cost
The publications are available in by means of our practice information leaflet or in paper copy and are all free unless otherwise indicated. For information regarding the publication scheme please contact the practice manager who will be pleased to receive your questions, comments and complaints. She will make best endeavours to supply all information requested in hard copy within 7 working days.
Your rights to information
- In addition to accessing the information identified in the Publication Scheme, you are entitled to request information about Harbour Orthodontic Centre under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 recognises that members of the public have the right to know how public services are organized and run, how much they costs and how the decisions are made.
- From January 1st 2005 the Act will oblige the Harbour Orthodontic Centre to respond to requests about information that it hold, and is recorded in any format and it will crease a right of access to such information. These rights are subject to some exemptions which have to be taken into consideration before deciding what information it can release.
- New environmental information regulations may be introduced. These will enable similar access to environmental information as under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are also entitled to access your dental records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact the practice manager to do this.
Part 2 – Classes of Information
All information at the Harbour Orthodontic Centre is held, retained and destroyed in accordance with NHS guidelines. Our commitment to publish information excludes any information which can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000. Where individual classes are subject to exemptions, the main reasons are eg. The protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This applies to all classes within the publication scheme. The information on this scheme is grouped into the following broad categories:
1. Who we are
The dental practitioners at this practice:
Mrs. Victoria Dixon BDS (1992) FSD Msc M.Orth. RCS(2000) – Specialist in orthodontics (Practice Partner) GDC No: 68476
Mr. E.J. A. Dixon BDS (1991), Bsc (hons), FDS, RCS(1997) – Specialist oral surgeon (Practice Partner) GDC No: 68476
Mr. Alex Lass BDS 1994 Brazil GDC No: 124730
The Practice Manager is Laura Gillham.
This information is available in the practice information leaflet and can be obtained free of charge from reception.
Harbour Orthodontic Centre has a contract to provide NHS orthodontic children on children who have braces fitted before their 18th birthday with Primary Care Commissioning, NHS England. Their address is 36-38 Friars Walk, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2PB.
2. Our Services
Our opening times are Monday – Thursday 9.00am – 5.00pm, Friday 9.00am-4.00pm
If you have an emergency out of hours please call the practice on the normal number (01323 472100) and leave your name, number and a short message on the answer phone and a member of staff will get back to you as soon as possible (normally within 4 hours). There are contact details for the Emergency Dental Service on the answer phone message.
Our practice has full wheelchair access and there is a lift to the first floor where we are located.
We treat children under the age of 18 for NHS orthodontic treatment only. We do not carry out routine general dentistry.
We speak English and Portuguese at the practice but if you require an interpreter we will do our best to meet your needs.
3. Financial and Funding Information
We have a contact with Primary Care Commissioning, NHS England, South-South East. For information on NHS funding and contract targets please contact the practice manager.
Orthodontic treatment is free for all eligible patients who start their treatment before their 18th birthday. However if an appliance is lost or broken beyond repair there is a charge of £76.90 for its replacement.
For information about the cost of NHS treatment you can see the latest fee list on the NHS choices website: www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/aboutnhsservices/dentists
4. Regular Publications and Information for the Public
The following publications are available free from the practice:
- Practice information leaflet – this contains the most frequently requested information about our practice.
- Treatment information leaflets/care of orthodontic appliances – we have many patient information leaflets available free of charge from reception.
- We have many leaflets on health related matters including smoking cessation advice and oral health care during pregnancy.
- More information on our practice can be viewed on our website: www.harbour‑orthodontics.co.uk
The Harbour Orthodontic Centre is committed to offering high standards of care and service to our patients. If we have failed to meet your expectation we will do our best to deal with any dissatisfaction promptly and courteously. You can complain in person, by telephone and in writing to the practice manager. She will acknowledge your complaint within 3 days and will respond fully within 10 days unless you are contacted to say differently. For further information or for a copy of our complaints policy please contact the practice manager.
6. Our Practice Policies and Procedures
We have many policies in place at the Harbour Orthodontic Centre including data protection, health & safety, infection control, radiation protection and child protection. We are registered with the Information Commissioners Office with regard to the information held in the practice on record cards and computers. We also observe confidentiality with regard to the communication of information to any third partly. We have a robust Information Governance policy and results for the NHS IG Toolkit are published. For information on our policies and procedures or to request a copy please contact the practice manager.
We are registered with the CQC (Care Quality Commission) and follow guidelines set out by the GDC (General Dental Council).
We report monthly Friends and Family results to NHS England. We carry out annual patient satisfaction surveys and publish the results in the waiting area for patients perusal.
7. This Publication Scheme – Class Description
In this class we will publish any changes we make to this Publication Scheme, the criteria on which our information management policies are made and a referral point for all enquiries regarding information management generally in the practice. We will also publish any proposed changes or addition to publications already available.
Cost of Information
For the most part information is available free of charge in the form of a leaflet or a paper copy of our policies and procedures. For multiple copies or where postage is involved there may be a charge. You will be informed of this charge and it will have to be paid in advance.
Information Commissioner: ico.org.uk
NHS Freedom of Information : www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/foi/
NHS Enlgand: www.nhs.uk